The SC-2030 Solar Charger (used in tandem with the TM-2030 battery monitor) has unusual benefits that can extend the life of your battery system. To purchase the TM-2030 or the SC-2030 directly from us or to learn about our current sales promotions please contact us.
SC-2030 Charge Controller
● SC-2030 is a PWM solar charge controller that offers better value and performance than many MPPT controllers.
● Well suited for use with RV & camper solar installations where high panel temperature cause a significant drop in max power point voltage Vmp.
● More reliable than many MPPT controllers.
● Compatible with all battery types including flooded cell, AGM, Gel, Nickel Iron, Lithium LFP, etc. For Lithium batteries: When using the SC-2030, program the TM-2030 (P8-P21) to adhere to strict charging guidelines. Contact us for more information.
● For 12 or 24 V battery systems.
● Up to 30 amps maximum solar current. Charger will safely reduce output if panel current exceeds 31 amps. Note: Open Circuit Voltage limit from panels must not exceed 55 Volts.
● Optional Temperature compensation if temperature sensor is used.
● Small size: 3 x 5 1/4 x 2 3/4 inches; 7.6 X 13.3 X 7 cm.
Trimetric Monitors & Chargers in the wild:
● Easy programming for charging your batteries: The TriMetric has 8 adjustable charging parameters to match any battery type. Enter your charging data using the TM-2030 based on battery manufacturer recommendations. Get your charging data here.
● If TM-2030 disconnected, the charger functions as a 3 stage charge with its built-in profiles for AGM and flooded cell batteries.
● When designing the SC-2030 we checked many battery company websites, and spoke with experts in their companies to find out what they recommend for charging before we designed it. Many solar charge controllers have very limited ability to adjust–a few even charge with voltage that is lower than what any battery company recommends.
As a result of this research we’ve added two unusual features to ensure that batteries are not damaged by over or under charging:
1. Amp hour counting: During a discharge period it measures precisely the amount of previous discharge, and then when recharging adds back the same amount plus an additional measured percentage of charge: for liquid electrolyte lead acid batteries about 110-120%–or for AGM types about 104-109%.
2. Also unusual in chargers, but frequently now recommended to maintain battery capacity is an extra higher voltage “mini equalization” finishing stage. During the last part of the charge it can increase charging voltage (at a regulated low current value) to avoid undercharge during a limited solar day. (This is sometimes called “IUI” charging).
3. Undo the damaging effects of sulfation with an automatic mini equalization stage *every* time the batteries are recharged.
● All of this is controlled by the TM-2030 Battery Monitor located in your living area–connected with a common crossover phone cable to the SC-2030 usually located near the batteries. In addition to high quality charging, you also get all of the benefits of the TM-2030 monitoring system: volts, battery amps, solar amps, replaced percent of charge compared to previous discharge, extra unused solar power, battery temperature and more.
● The SC-2030 uses “PWM” (“pulse width modulation”) technology, which requires that it be used with what are often described as “12 Volt” (or “24 volt”) solar panels for good efficiency. Some have asked why we used this instead of newer “MPPT” technology for this charger. We explain this in a “Frequently Answered Question” on this web site. If you’re curious, go to the top of this page to “Support,” then “Frequently Answered Questions,” question C.1.
For a wiring diagram, technical details on charging, and to see what’s involved to install it, visit our support page.